Friday 14 June 2013

Espinacas con Garbanzos (Spinach and Chickpeas)

'S' has taught me to like Chickpeas. Don't get me wrong, I ate them before, but only out of duty. I would toss them into couscous or throw them on a salad because I knew they were good for me and high in protein. Now I like them. I swear. I Like them. When chickpeas are grilled in the oven with a little olive oil, garlic, and maybe some cumin and red chilli flakes...watch out! Delicious.

It was raining on Wednesday night, and I felt like something comforting. I headed to the Smitten Kitchen blog and began searching for chickpea recipes. Odd, I realize.

Look at what it was doing outside....



Anyways, I found THIS one. The final product was scrumptious. I served it in a bowl and ate it on its own, but you could use it as a side with a meat dish, or serve it with some crusty bread, or even a salad. It could also be one of a few dishes as part of a Tapas meal.

Believe me though, it was filling on its own...but that could be because I ate a little more than my share. Probably not surprising.

If you're going to attempt it, follow the recipe on the link above, but this is what you'll need:

1/2 pound (230 grams) dried chickpeas, cooked until soft and tender* or two 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound (450 grams) spinach, washed
A hefty 1-inch slice from a country loaf or about 2 slices from sandwich loaf bread (2.5 ounces or 75 grams), crusts removed and cut inset small cubes
1/2 cup (4 ounces) tomato sauce (I used canned stuff I keep around)
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika**
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lemon juice, to taste





I'm off to a BBQ in Notting Hill tonight, a birthday on Saturday night, and a Polo match with some friends on Sunday. The Weekend is shaping up well!

Happy Friday! 

1 comment:

  1. Appreciating the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you provide.

    It's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same
    outdated rehashed material. Excellent read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.



    my blog monica **

    ReplyDelete